Tuesday, June 19, 2012

HB.Migraine


KP Wellness

  10:40 AM (edited)  -  Public
Medications
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
Ergotamines
Triptans
 A small dose of caffeine

Herbs and Supplements
 High doses of riboflavin (vitamin B-2)
Magnesium
Coenzyme Q10
Fish oil
Ginger
Feverfew
Butterbur

Drugs for Preventive Treatment
Beta Blockers
atenolol (Tenormin)
metoprolol (Toprol XL)
nadolol (Corgard)
propranolol (Inderal)
timolol (Blocadren)

Calcium Channel Blockers
diltiazem (Cardizem, Cartia XT, Dilacor, Tiazac)
nimodipine (Nimotop)
verapamil (Calan, Covera, Isoptin, Verelan)

Antidepressants
amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep)
fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem)
imipramine (Tofranil)
nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor)
paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva)
sertraline (Zoloft)
venlafaxine (Effexor)

Anticonvulsants
divalproex sodium (Depakote, Depakote ER)
gabapentin (Neurontin)
levetiracetam (Keppra)
pregabalin (Lyrica)
tiagabine (Gabitril)
topiramate (Topamax)
valproate (Depakene)
zonisamide (Zonegran)

Botulinum Toxin Type A (Botox)

Avoid Food Triggers
monosodium glutamate (MSG)
aged cheeses
alcohol, especially red wine
chocolate
large amounts of caffeine

Avoid Stressful Situations.
Limit Estrogen-Containing Medications
Healthline originally shared this post:
Is that a headache or a migraine? Find out now!http://www.healthline.com/health/migraine-overview
Migraine Overview - Migraine Information - Types of Migraine | Healthline »
Explore our doctor-reviewed articles for information on migraine, headaches and mixed tension migraines. Specifically learn their causes, symptoms and treatments. Continue reading! 

KP Wellness

  9:23 AM (edited)  -  Public
Mefenamic acid is used for the short-term treatment of mild to moderate pain from various conditions. It is also used to decrease pain and blood loss from menstrual periods.Mefenamic acid is known as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID).

Do not lie down for at least 10 minutes after taking this drug. If stomach upset occurs, take this medication with food or milk. Do not take mefenamic acid with antacids

 This medication usually should not be taken for more than 7 days at a time.

Limit alcohol and stop smoking.

http://www.medicinenet.com/mefenamic_acid-oral/article.htm
MEFENAMIC ACID - ORAL (Ponstel) side effects, medical uses, and drug interactions. »
Consumer information about the medication MEFENAMIC ACID - ORAL (Ponstel), includes side effects, drug interactions, recommended dosages, and storage information. Read more about the prescription dru... 

KP Wellness

  9:20 AM  -  Public
Mefenamic acid | Health | »
Patient.co.uk offers comprehensive health information as provided by GPs and nurses to patients during consultations 

KP Wellness

  9:13 AM  -  Public
Since hepatic metabolism plays a significant role in mefenamic acid elimination, patients with known liver deficiency may be prescribed lower doses.
Kidney deficiency may also cause accumulation of the drug and its metabolites in the excretory system. Therefore patients suffering from renal conditions should not be prescribed mefenamic acid.

Mefenamic acid is recommended to be taken with food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mefenamic_acid 
Mefenamic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Jump to: navigation, search. Mefenamic acid. Systematic (IUPAC) name. 2-(2,3-dimethylphenyl)aminobenzoic acid. Clinical data. Trade names, Ponstel, Ponstan. AHFS... 

KP Wellness

  10:51 AM  -  Public
Botox was approved as a treatment for chronic migraine in the UK in 2010. Exactly how the neurotoxin prevents migraines is unknown. It may work by blocking pain signals or relaxing muscles.

"For patients who suffer from this condition, Botox may offer a safe and effective preventative treatment option to help them manage their migraine and improve their quality of life."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18021017
NHS may offer Botox migraine jab »
The anti-wrinkle drug Botox could soon be offered to patients with chronic migraines by the NHS in England and Wales, according to the medicines watchdog. 

KP Wellness

  10:47 AM  -  Public
Stroke and migraine | Better Health Channel »
Stroke and migraine may present with similar symptoms, including visual disturbances, speech problems and weakness down one side of the body. Despite the similarities, it is possible to tell the diffe... 

KP Wellness

  10:46 AM  -  Public
9 ways to get rid of a migraine - Canadian Living »
The latest news on how to stay ahead of your migraines. Plus, learn about natural and medical treatment options. 

KP Wellness

  10:44 AM  -  Public
Be aware, however, that:
Taking medicines more than 3 days a week may lead to rebound headaches -- headaches that keep coming back.
Taking too much acetaminophen can damage your liver. Too much ibuprofen or aspirin can irritate your stomach.
http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/migraine/overview.html
Migraine - Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment of Migraine - NY Times Health Information »
Free articles and multimedia from The NY Times, including information on symptoms, diagnosis, treatments, tests, and surgical procedures, as well as current news and interviews with leading experts. 

KP Wellness

  10:43 AM  -  Public
Migraine | Health | »
Patient.co.uk offers comprehensive health information as provided by GPs and nurses to patients during consultations  

KP Wellness

  10:27 AM  -  Public
Elizabeth Lizza's profile photoBernd Klimasch's profile photoJan Erik Hansen's profile photo
+3


KP Wellness

 10:27 AM  -  Public
Will Burns originally shared this post:
All the migraine, none of the headache

Ocular Migraine or Opthalmic migraine:
Considered pretty rare, they do exist. It's essentially all of the migraine and none of the headache.

Ever since I was a kid, I remember suffering from migraines. Originally it was with the headaches and all the other symptoms, but as I've grown older it's now all of the accompanying symptoms but no severe headache (usually).

So what's it like when this hits me? It's kind of interesting to tell the truth. I get the zigzags and auras, and that's about like taking drugs and hallucinating a bit (laughs). Lots of zig zag holographic flashy colors moving around. The end-shot is that I'm effectively blind for awhile.

Then there is the nausea... that's usually the first thing that kicks in as a warning the migraine is coming.

There are other symptoms too, like numbness in my fingers and the back of my foot. A lot of people tell me "Oh, you should go rush to the doctor!" and honestly I know it's just stuff that accompanies the migraine. It's been like this for many years, and it passes without further incident. I've been to an eye doctor about it and for years I had permanent sunglasses, which kinda sucked. Like those rose colored glasses that Helen Keller's teacher wore... except mine were just polarized and dark grey. The doctor originally wanted me on migraine medication regularly and I refused - mostly because the side effects seemed worse that just friggin letting it subside.

I switched to transitions lenses a few years back as a compromise, but I know I should have permanent sunglasses. So the trade off was that I knew I'd likely have an increase in ocular migraines and symptoms, but I decided it was worth the trade off and I'd deal with it. Sunglasses all the time seems like a good idea until you realize you have to wear them at night too... or buy a separate pair of glasses just for nighttime (and I'm not made of money). This also explains why I refuse to wear contacts.

Over the years I've come to learn a couple of random things... Excedrin Migraine is awesome, but in a pinch 500mg of Ibuprofen and a cup of coffee are the same thing. Seriously... next time you're in the store, just read the package. The only real difference between Excedrin Extra Strength and Excedrin Migraine is the addition of Caffeine.

It's interesting to me because lots of doctors will say to limit caffeine intake in order to limit migraines, right? But when you get a migraine and reach for the Excedrin Migraine, what's the activating ingredient? Caffeine. So to me, caffeine is actually part of the preventative measures.

Fluorescent lighting is probably the worst trigger I have, aside from Sunlight. I can handle incandescent lighting... I think it's just wonderful. But those compact fluorescent bulbs are the devil to me. I know they are energy savers and hooray for the environment (assuming you ignore the mercury in the bulbs and the electronics), but there are better ways to help the environment with light bulbs... such as skipping compact fluorescent altogether and going straight to LED Light bulbs which last a hell of a lot longer and are passive lighting (and don't give me migraines).

Of course I can't talk about this subject without also mentioning that my hearing is off the charts as well. I can hear electronics and light bulbs. Sometimes I even hear electricity.. at least I think that's what it is. You can hear the hum of high power tension lines, right? I can hear the high pitch of electricity when I turn on the bathroom lights... if you wonder what it sounds like, all I can say is it's annoying as hell and I sympathize with dogs when people blow on those cursed dog whistles. Yes, I hear those too... but very faintly. It's annoying. Leave the TV on but turn off the cable box? Yep, I can here the high pitch of the television (CRT Based, but Flatscreens don't have that issue)

Flat screen monitors for computers were the happiest day of my life. CRT Monitors were and are evil. Low refresh rates on them cause migraines for me as well... and I can hear them. I remember when I was a kid in elementary school and the computer lab was pretty much an audio assault to me. High pitched and loud. I refused to walk into the room until they turned off the computers, and I could tell if they were bullshitting me.

Overcast days, where a massive thunderstorm, electrical storm, or snow storm is rolling in behind it... yep, migraines. On top of that, a fair amount of muscle soreness and arthritis to boot. Those are the best days ever! (that was sarcasm). I'm pretty sure it's the change in atmospheric pressure that does it.

Strong smells are also a trigger for me, which is why those scented candle stores can effectively go to hell as far as I am concerned. Lavender is the worst offender to me... it causes a full migraine.

Let's see... in the late 80's and 90's during that Day-Glo color fad I could have made it my mission to bitch slap every person on Earth. Today, we've mostly come to our senses, but the color Yellow is my arch nemesis.

It's one of those long posts, I know... but the interesting part is that I'm writing this as I'm experiencing it. Something to do to kill time waiting for it to subside. Touch typing comes in handy sometimes :) 

KP Wellness

 10:25 AM  -  Public
Migravent originally shared this post:

KP Wellness

 12:08 PM  -  Public
Migraine & Cluster Headache Therapy
1  HEADACHE THERAPY
TIER 1
+ Acetaminophen/Caffeine/Butalbital
+ Aspirin/Caffeine/Butalbital
+ Dihydroergotamine Mesylate (D .H .E .45)
+ Naratriptan HCl
+ Sumatriptan Succinate Tablet
TIER 2
Cafergot (Ergotamine Tartrate/ Caffeine Tablet)
Ergomar (Ergotamine Tartrate)
+ Sumatriptan Succinate Nasal Spray
TIER 3
Sumatriptan Injection (Alsuma)
Almotriptan Malate (Axert)
Frovatriptan (Frova)
Rizatriptan (Maxalt)
Dihydroergotamine Mesylate Spray (Migranal)
Sumatriptan Injection (Sumavel DosePro)
sumatriptan and naproxen (Treximet)
Zolmitriptan (Zomig)

2  ANTIVERTIGO & ANTIEMETIC DRUGS
TIER 1
+ Dronabinol (Marinol)
+ Ondansetron HCl (Zofran)
+ Prochlorperazine Maleate Tablet
+ Promethazine HCl (Phenergan)
+ Trimethobenzamide HCl Capsule (Tigan 250, 300 mg)
TIER 2
Meclizine HCl Tablet (Antivert 50 mg)
Aprepitant (Emend)
+ Granisetron HCl Tablet (Kytril)**
TIER 3
Dolasetron (Anzemet)
Nabilone (Cesamet)
Granisetron, Chemo Patch, Granisetron Patch (Sancuso)
Scopolamine (Scopace)
Scopolamine (Transderm-Scop)
Ondansetron (Zuplenz) 

No comments:

Post a Comment